Thursday 21 January 2010

Creepy things

Treereeper - Tadburn Meadows

I popped into Blashford lakes on the 12th on my way back from dropping materials down in Poole, I just spent half an hour there in Tern hide and just took binoculars. I love my Opticron 10x42s and these days frequently leave my scope in the cupboard. I don't know these lakes at all well but was pleased to see a number of Goldeneye,  and scores of Goosander in amongst the more expected wildfowl. Apparently there was and still is a Caspian Gull, but to be honest I wouldn't know one if I fell over it, I would just apologise and go on my way. I know it looks something like a Herring Gull but thats as far as it goes without looking it up. This year I am going to learn about gulls generally, they have long been a mystery to me and they really deserve more observation. (I say this every year, as I do with waders).
Anyway, together with yesterday's post regarding Nuthatches, and today's unavoidable observation of a drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker outside, I felt it only fair to mention  another creeper of trees, the Treecreeper. These aptly named little birds often pass unnoticed, but unlike the Nuthatch, creep only up trees (and a little sideways) looking for insects in bark crevices and then often fly vertically downwards down the trunk to start the procedure once again. I see them most often here in the winter, not doubt due to the lack of leaves, and I've never seen more than two, and most regularly they appear at the same time as the Long Tailed Tits which may or not be a coincidence.

I know these aren't great pictures, but they are small birds and the light wasn't great. I'm disappointed to note that like many bird species, since the coppicing of a large proportion of the mature trees in what has become Tadburn Meadows nature reserve, this species is not as regularly seen as it once was. I have a feeling I may post more on the "management" of the area at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment