Monday 25 January 2010

Blashford (part2)

Yes more cormorants. Aren't they lovely. I find it terribly sad that our own over-fishing of offshore waters which has driven these entrepreneurial spirits to feed and breed on inland waters, has led to their persecution on certain fisheries. It has to be more environmentally sound than some banker from London taking a return helicopter ride to the banks of the river Test for an afternoons fly fishing..


Herons were also busy on Ivy lake, but not fishing anywhere close, although this one spent a little time ignoring a Cormorant which seemed to be saying "I want to be a Heron when I grow up"...  I don't think it actually was.


Eventually, another Heron flying past enticed this one away. I'm glad there were two of them because my bird in flight technique needs a deal of practice and despite bursts of umpteen shots, these were the only two that were even remotely in focus..


 
What else, oh yes, Gadwall. These ducks which I usually see from a distance as black bottomed, flat grey ducks were a pleasure to see reasonably close up, revealing the complexity of their plumage which usually remains a mystery. I'm not sure why this one has a brown patch on its head, is it a first winter male? I don't know. Something else to look up. I love Black Headed Gulls in winter, they always look like bald middle age men to me.



Last but not least I thought I would include the Canada Goose. Even typing that name transports me back to the Bourneville model yachting pool of my youth where there were plenty. Lovely creatures that we all take for granted.
 
and this one which looks like a Canada cross Barnacle Goose hybrid (I think)






No comments:

Post a Comment