Saturday 8 January 2011

Smewtiful

An altogether brighter day gave a chance to try and get some decent shots of the Romsey Smew and check on its wellbeing. I thought it quite amusing that it seemed to attract a fair bit of attention from not just local birders, but also the local birds and was more often than not found in the company of one or more of the other waterfowl when it wasn't fishing.


I think 1st winter males should be developing darker lores by now, so I'm guessing this is a female and I should stop referring to her as "it".

















The good light allowed a reasonably detailed photo of the main injury to be taken. As there is a good deal of stability left in the bill despite the crack, I think it should heal pretty quickly, in fact it does seem to be showing signs already.



No comments:

Post a Comment