Sunday 1 May 2011

Storm in a Bcup

Walking my friend's dog through Tadburn Meadows the other day it was almost impossible to ignore the fact that every Buttercup was a scene of frenzied activity. How many thousands of these minute little bronze coloured moths there were in total was almost impossible to guess at, but there were an awful lot. I was so impressed I took a few photos with my phone.
I was less impressed with the camera in my phone which I havent used before, but I guess it illustrates the point.


I don't know but I suspect this is a swarming of males awaiting a female to fight over looking at the gratuitous sex and violence going on in some of the other buttercups next door.
Rather more exciting, and a good reason for taking binoculars everywhere was a Honey Buzzard drifting south west against the wind. It was an odd direction for it to be travelling in but it was sufficiently low, and it was sufficiently good light (bright sunny morning) to pick up the correct tail banding quite clearly to confirm what was already obvious from the head/neck shape. My first of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment