Wednesday 28 April 2010

Patience is a virtue

Every now and again time and effort (and a little bit of knowledge) reward you with an opportunity. Not every time, but just occasionally, and when they do, you have to grab the chance and be grateful for it. I set out to Fishlake Meadows yesterday earlyish in the morning with 4 key objectives in mind from which I was determined not to be distracted. Of course I knew I would be. However, my number one was to get a proper shot of a Cettis Warbler rather than the bush it was in a moment ago or a blurry reminder of the limitations of autofocus when confronted with a viewfinder full of sticks. Number two was a decent view of Sedge Warbler which usually seem quite strangely reticent to show themselves in this locality. Number three was the same with Whitethroats. Number four was a ridiculous notion that one of the two Purple Herons spotted over a local garden the day before might just pop up in the vicinity.
In reality, I didn't have all day, and once in situ I decided to spend my time with the Cettis. I know most of the territories here, or I thought I did, and headed for the one I thought most likely. I'm not sure why I thought it most likely, its one of the individuals I have only glimpsed on a handful of occasions, but sure enough, on my approach I was greeted by the now familiar and  unreasonably loud call by the ruler of this particular kingdom. I stood for a while and its next shout was about 10 yards away, but I knew from bitter experience to avoid the temptation of following it. I waited, stood where I was. I waited twenty minutes. Another call close to, but as usual from the bottom of the dense bushes. Then all of a sudden a flurry of activity as two fluttered about at the back of the bush in front of me, then all quiet again. Calls from 5 yards to the right, 5 yards from the left odd sightings of a dark skitting form in the shadows and cramp was setting in. I kept reminding myself of what a lovely morning it was and how lucky I was to be here. Suddenly this secretive bird which isn't all that often seen despite betraying its presence with the loudest of all British Warbler calls, decided to work its way up a bush in front of me, and not oly that, at the front of the bush rather than the back, which is normal. It sat there and gave me a good hard stare

Only my finger moved on the shutter button which he listened to with interest


I still didn't move, I couldn't, and he disapprovingly gave me a burst of song


and paused to see if there was any effect


there wasn't so he treated me to another longer burst



before once again giving me a very direct look of disbelief that I hadn't been scared away
And then he was gone. All over in fifteen seconds which seemed like fifteen minutes, and well worth the hour standing still. Over the years I've taught myself its much better to wait and let wildlife come to you rather than to stomp about trying to find it, and its certainly the case for the elusive Cettis Warbler. A lesson reinforced.

I did catch up with Sedge Warblers of which more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment