Wednesday 7 April 2010

Blackcaps

I have a soft spot for Blackcaps. Many years ago I remember the first one here that was an overwintering bird, and quite one of the boldest characters I have come across. He started feeding on the kitchen windowsill on bits of peanuts dropped from the feeders by the upstairs window which I put up for the large siskin flocks we used to get so I could see the numbers of any that were ringed. After a while he took to continuously tapping on the window until I put out extra food for him, his favourite (after some experimentation) being tiny squares of toast which he would wolf down and then tap on the window for more. He made me smile every morning until I found out from ringers that he was probably german, but hey ho, we can't help where we are born.
We had no wintering Blackcaps this year but two males turned up chasing around the brambles about 2 weeks ago which I have seen sporadically whilst expecting them to have moved on through. Maybe they did and we have another two, I can't tell them apart. Every now and again I catch a short burst of song, but it is by no means that glorious, almost non stop, fluting concerto that ushers spring in properly... yet.
One has taken to the fat blocks in a big way (with insects in) having watched assorted tits and a female Blackbird finding them irresistable and he has been lovely to watch close up for several days now.

The second male turned up at the table yesterday, drawn in by the first male seeming to find a good food source, but appeared rather confused by the very idea of a feeding station and sat and watched very carefully from above to learn the proper ettiquette in such surroundings...

This is the proper ettiquette..

Deep fat flying..


The second Blackcap continued to look on bemused


and then suddenly it dawned on him that there was real food about.... this looks tasty...
not sure its really ripe though...
and to be honest I'm not how it unscrews
 and then a Robin chased them both off. For some reason Robins always take a singular dislike to Blackcaps in their territory, I assume its a common food source clash. Today there was a female Blackcap about, not as bold as these two and very flighty and I spectacularly failed to photograph her. Good to see though and it bodes well for some rather more spirited singing in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment