Thursday 3 February 2011

The Bittern Bug

So the Blashford Bittern had put in an appearance, albeit brief, but I stood with renewed hope as the hide filled with more and more disgruntled birders who only had one subject to talk about, the unopening windows. More movement and the Bittern was back, a bit more in the open, relying on its best camouflage pose

but couldn't resist a sneaky peek to see if we were suitably impressed
















After what seemed an age, it decided that this was the moment to "dash" across the open water between reed patches giving a lucky few of us a chance of a few photos.
















I vacated the hide asap to get out of the claustrophobic atmosphere and into the glorious sunshine and fresh air, and headed off to Poole.
I wasn't as long as I thought at the factory and got away promptly. As I was on the Nuffield estate, I decided to park up and look over Hatch Pond. I had heard that 3 or even 4 Bitterns had been star billing at this most unlikely of venues. No one else was there, and grateful for the lack of hides, I settled into the trees and watched the reedbeds for movement. Almost straight away I could see one, but although standing only a foot or so back into the reedbeds, it was practically invisible so I waited for it to move.
It didn't. But a few minutes later, another one did, and stood out in the open for about 10 minutes. I think these are the best series of photos I have ever taken. I don't know who invented Bitterns, but they must surely have dipped their brushes in the colours in this water to finish them off with. The light and reflections have a lovely painted quality that I wish I could repeat at will, and you would be hard pushed to find a bird so at one with its surroundings in every sense. I think I've bigged them up enough!







Then it decided to cross the open water in the bright sunshine to the other reedbed and disappeared for a while


And then a few minutes later was disturbed by a dog and flew hurriedly back



I was beginning to be very pleased indeed with this day. On my short walk back to the car I met another photographer who knew these Bitterns well and said I should go to Poole Park while I was in the area to see the very rare Long-billed Dowitcher. I suppose I should...

No comments:

Post a Comment