Friday 24 December 2010

LTTs

There have been two flocks of Long Tailed Tits feeding here this winter, one consisting of four birds and the other of 10-11. Oddly the larger flock always has a single Blue Tit with it, quite why I'm not sure as the Long Tails continually bully it off any food. Anywhow, its good to see that after a very successful breeding season here, the Long Tails are continuing to survive the harsh weather pretty well so far (assuming of course that these are the same ones that were around in the summer).
They have been feeding in the garden almost exclusively on the insect fatblocks and when the large flock arrive they remind me of this old Russian toy which most people of my generation (and countless generations before no doubt) will remember


Am I losing my marbles? Well maybe.


 Either way they are delightful creatures that entertain everyone who stands in my kitchen, birdwatchers or no.

No comments:

Post a Comment