Thursday 21 October 2010

Another Fishlake surprise

One of the most surprising sightings on Fishlake Meadows happened on the 30th of September when ringers trapped and ringed a first year male Bluethroat. These birds, most likely from central Europe, should be off to North Africa or India to overwinter, but odd ones get lost, and this one had the good grace to turn up tantalisingly close.
I don't think anyone other than those involved in ringing actually got to see this bird, although the lucky ringers got to see it twice as it was recaptured a couple of days later. My own searches remained fruitless so I am indebted to Simon Ingram who provided this fine photo.


A splendid find.  My own walks didn't produce very much at all in the way of photographs or unusual birds, in fact on one occasion I have never known the meadows so quiet. Maybe the ringing exercise had made things wary, but the only surprise was the number of wrens skulking about in the reedbeds.
I often see a female Roe deer with a three quarter grown youngster in toe at the moment, I think this was her, but the offspring was nowhere to be seen (although at Fishlake, this doesn't mean it wasn't there). This is a typical view.


As the weather was kind, I practised my bird in flight technique on the numerous Grey Herons with limited success, but more by luck than judgement came up with a couple of passable pictures.

2 comments: