Monday 8 February 2010

Out and about - Eyeworth


I had to pop down to Poole today on a delivery run and as usual spent ten minutes on Hatch Pond just having a look, but nothing exciting other than a pair of Great crested Grebes displaying, mirroring each other perfectly in every single movement. I don't know how they do that, down to every single shake of the head, not a millisecond apart. Fabulous. On the drive back I decided to have yet another go at Harbridge for the Great White Egret and yet again didn't see one, though my disappointment was tempered by seeing Bewick Swans much closer there  than previously. Eight in total, four adults and four juveniles. The wind and frozen rain meant my limited time there was grateful and I headed homeward, but nagging on my mind was the thought of disappearing off the radar and taking a detour to Eyeworth. Which I did.
Until recent years Goosanders have been one of my bogey birds, ones I should have seen easily but somehow always missed. Suddenly I seem to see them everywhere and Eyeworth was no exception with no less than at least 21 there on what equates to a largish village pond in the New Forest.
I am told these are probably some of the flock from Blashford who just come to feed on the apparently fish rich pond but don't roost there, though I can't be certain. The time I spent there certainly confirmed they were largely busy fishing. Its not a huge pond but there is room for any wildfowl to remain difficult to photograph in dark grey conditions such as they were today, however, I did what I thought I could do and will leave the photos to speak for themselves.

Ok, I'm not entirely going to let them speak for themselves, I'm going to interrupt briefly. I've often wondered why diving ducks (I know they aren't ducks they are Sawbills, but they are still duck-like)) frequently seem to slope into the water towards the tail. I hope the next three pictures, particularly the last one, explain this to anyone looking as much as they do to me..






I hope the last picture shows quite what a downward force is exerted by the tail feathers which never totally leave the surface and wouldn't work if they were cocked up. I'm sure this isn't new to science, but its new to me, and sad as it maybe, made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment